You are currently in the en section of the site.

No thank you, please close this banner.

Last updated:

Moving from DLA to PIP

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for people aged 16 to 64. Find out how moving from DLA to PIP will affect you.

When will I have to claim PIP instead of DLA?

If you are already claiming Disability Living Allowance (DLA), the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will assess you for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) if you are aged between 16-64 and:

  • Your fixed period award for DLA has ended, or
  • You tell the DWP your care or mobility needs have changed.

Most clients have now been transferred over to PIP. Children will still be able to claim DLA. If you were receiving PIP and you transitioned onto pension, you would continue to receive PIP.

Claiming PIP instead of DLA?

The DWP will contact you when they have decided to review your DLA claim. You will then have four weeks to start your PIP claim – read our guide on how to claim PIP.

If you claim PIP within four weeks, you will continue to be paid DLA until your PIP claim has been decided.

However, if you don’t make a PIP claim within four weeks, your DLA will be suspended.

Following a DLA suspension, you will need to claim PIP within four weeks of the start of your suspension or your DLA will be stopped altogether.

If you do not claim PIP when the DWP asks you to, your DLA will stop.

Can I claim PIP earlier than needed?

You can claim PIP earlier, but you should consider all potential outcomes carefully.

People who previously claimed DLA may not get PIP at all or will get PIP at a lower rate because the entitlement conditions are different.

It’s also important to know that you can’t claim both DLA and PIP. Find out what other benefits you can claim when receiving PIP.

If you’re thinking of claiming PIP before being asked to by the DWP, we advise you speak to a specialist adviser as you could lose your DLA or receive a lower rate.

What if I’m over 65?

If you turned 65 by 8th April 2013, you would be able to continue to claim DLA. The DWP will not ask you to claim PIP.

If you want to make a new claim and are over 65, you will no longer be able to claim DLA or PIP. Instead, you will need to apply for Attendance Allowance.

Share this article

Within this subject


Is this article helpful to you?

Was this article helpful to you?

Please tell us more

For urgent help, please see Help & contacts