When will I have to claim Universal Credit?
Universal Credit (UC) is available throughout the country. You will only need to claim Universal Credit if you are making a new claim for benefits.
However, there are a few circumstances where you will not need to claim Universal Credit if you are making a new claim for benefits:
- You are in receipt of a Severe Disability Premium or you have received the Severe Disability Premium within the last month and you’re still eligible for it.
- What is Universal Credit?
- How much can I get?
- Working or studying
- What if I care for someone or have children?
- What about my housing costs?
- Income, savings and property
- Will the benefit cap affect me?
- Universal Credit payments
- The claimant commitment
- Appeal a decision
- When to claim
- Next steps