You are currently in the en section of the site.

No thank you, please close this banner.

Key points of this subject

  1. There are three types of ESA: 'new style', contribution-based and income-related.
  2. The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will ask you to fill in a form with questions about your health in order to determine if you can work, and you will probably require a health assessment.
  3. If you get ESA, the DWP will place you in the ‘work-related activity group’ or the ‘support group’ depending on how difficult it is for you to work.
  4. If you join the work-related activity group (WRAG), you must attend meetings to discuss the level of support you need in order to be able to work.
  5. In the support group, you don’t have to go to meetings and you receive more money than you get in the WRAG.
  6. If you disagree with a decision about ESA, you can ask the DWP to look at it again and then you can appeal if you do not agree with their second decision.

Within this subject

  1. Overview
  2. What is ESA?
  3. How can I claim?
  4. What is the Work Capability Assessment?
  5. What are the groups of ESA?
  6. What is the Work Programme?
  7. What work am I permitted to do on ESA?
  8. Can I appeal if I think the decision about ESA is wrong?
  9. Next steps

Is this article helpful to you?

Was this article helpful to you?

Please tell us more

For urgent help, please see Help & contacts