You are currently in the en section of the site.

No thank you, please close this banner.

Key points of this subject

  1. Someone can only deal with your financial affairs if you give them written permission or they have the legal authority to do so.
  2. If you would like help from a family member or friend with paying your bills, there are some bills that are more important than others. You should always make sure priority payments are made (such as rent, mortgage, council tax, gas and electricity) before paying any non-priority payments (such as credit cards or unsecured loans).
  3. A ‘third party mandate’ or signed letter of authority gives your carer, friend or relative permission to operate your bank account for you.
  4. If you need help claiming or collecting benefits you could choose a trusted friend, relative or your carer to become your ‘appointee’.
  5. You can grant someone a ‘Lasting Power of Attorney’. This would allow them to make important decisions about your finances if you lose capacity to make decisions about your money.
  6. If you become very unwell and lose capacity to make decisions about your finances, a carer, friend or relative can apply to the Court of Protection to become your ‘Deputy’.

Within this subject

  1. Overview
  2. Understanding your options
  3. Speaking on my behalf
  4. Claiming benefits
  5. Tax credits
  6. What is Lasting Power of Attorney?
  7. What is a Court of Protection appointed Deputy?
  8. Which bills are most important to pay first?
  9. Next steps

Is this article helpful to you?

Was this article helpful to you?

Please tell us more

For urgent help, please see Help & contacts