The Mental Health Act and section 117 aftercare
When you are discharged from certain sections of the Mental Health Act 1983 (MHA) you go onto a section 117. This means you can get free aftercare in the community. If your care plan says you need to be in a care home, then your costs for the care home may be free. The rules around getting free residential care under S117 can be complicated. Find out more information on rules and aftercare.
- What is residential care and will I have to pay?
- What is capital and how will the local authority assess this?
- How will the local authority assess my income?
- What is the most I will have to pay?
- What are top-up fees?
- What are Deferred Payment Agreements (DPA)?
- The Mental Health Act and section 117 aftercare
- What if I cannot afford the charges?
- Next steps