What can I do if I have a debt I cannot pay?
You have a number of options, including the following:
- Pay reduced and affordable payments,
- Offer a lump sum,
- Ask the lender to write off the debt,
- Apply for a debt relief order, or
- Apply for bankruptcy.
Not all of these options will be right for you, as it depends on your situation. The following things could affect your decision:
- Your income,
- The amount of money you owe,
- The type of debt you have, or
- The value of your home and other expensive belongings.
You can get free advice on debt issues from National Debtline and StepChange. Please visit our next steps section for their contact information.
Free, confidential advice and support to anyone worried about debt.