How can I claim?
To claim ‘new style’ ESA you can phone the Universal Credit Full Service helpline on 0800 328 5644 (choose option 2, then option 6).
To claim Income related ESA or Contribution based ESA you can phone Jobcentre Plus on 0800 055 6688.
An adviser may ask you for the following information, and more relevant questions to your claim:
- Name, address, date of birth and telephone numbers,
- National Insurance number,
- Mortgage or landlord details,
- Council tax details,
- A brief explanation of your illness or disability,
- Name, address and telephone number of your GP,
- Details of other benefits you claim,
- Details of any work you have done, and
- Bank account details.
You will need a fit note from your GP to start your claim. Once you have received the fit note from your GP, you can either upload it here, or send it by post.
If you do not want to claim by phone, you can ask the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to send you a claim form or you can download a ESA1 form online and take it to your nearest Jobcentre Plus office.
A carer, friend or relative can call the DWP or fill in the form for you if you require assistance. However, you will need to be with them when they make the calls, just so you can give them permission to speak for you.
A carer, friend or relative can call the DWP or fill in the form for you if you require assistance.
If you live in a ‘full service’ area
You can claim new style ESA.
To claim new style ESA you can call the Universal Credit Full Service helpline on 0800 328 5644 (choose option 2, then option 6).
Reclaiming new style ESA
In most cases you won’t be able to claim new style ESA if you have been found capable of doing some work after your Work Capability Assessment. The main exceptions are if:
- your current condition has got a lot worse
- you’re claiming for a new condition