You are currently in the scot section of the site.

No thank you, please close this banner.

Key points of this subject

  1. If you need help from someone else to pay bills or payments, there are some that are seen as more important than others. You should always make sure priority payments are made (e.g. rent, mortgage, council tax, gas and electricity) before paying any non-priority payments (e.g. credit cards or unsecured loans).
  2. You can make informal arrangements for someone to help you with your money but there is a danger you may be at risk of exploitation.
  3. You can only have someone else deal with your financial affairs formally if you have given your written permission or legal authority. There are different options for gaining this authority depending on your situation.
  4. Someone else can access your funds in a bank or building society account in order to meet day-to-day living costs but this has to be done by application to the Office of the Public Guardian.
  5. If you need help claiming or collecting benefits someone you know can apply to become your ‘appointee’.

Within this subject

  1. Overview
  2. Understanding your options
  3. Speaking on my behalf
  4. Joint Account Holders
  5. Claiming benefits
  6. Tax credits
  7. What is Continuing Power of Attorney?
  8. Which bills are most important to pay first?
  9. Other Options Available
  10. Next steps

Is this article helpful to you?

Was this article helpful to you?

Please tell us more

For urgent help, please see Help & contacts