How can I claim?
You can claim 'new style' ESA over the phone. The contact details are as follows:
New claims - 0800 085 6318
General enquiries or to report a change of circumstance - 0845 602 7301 or 0300 123 3012
Text number: 0800 328 3419 (for deaf and hard of hearing users only)
An adviser will ask you for the following information, and some other more detailed questions:
- Name, address, date of birth and telephone numbers
- National Insurance number
- Mortgage or landlord details
- Rates details
- A brief explanation of your illness or disability
- Name, address and telephone number of your GP
- Details of other benefits you claim
- Details of any work you have done
- Bank account details.
A carer, friend or relative can call the SSA or fill in the form for you if you require assistance.
You will need a ‘fit note’ from your GP to start your claim.
If you do not want to claim by phone, you can ask the SSA to send you a claim form or you can download a copy online and take it to your nearest Jobs & Benefits office. The form is called an ‘ESA1’ form.
A carer, friend or relative can call the SSA or fill in the form for you if you require assistance but you will need to be with them when they make the calls, just so you can give them permission to speak for you.
In some areas, you have to claim a new benefit called Universal Credit instead of income-related ESA.