Will I have to go to a face to face medical assessment?
You may have to attend a face to face medical assessment with a healthcare professional who you don’t know.
You may have to attend a face to face medical assessment with a healthcare professional who you don’t know. A healthcare professional from a private organisation will do your assessment. Capita will do the assessment in Northern Ireland.
The healthcare professional may not be a specialist in mental health. You can ask if a mental health professional can assess you. However, you do not have a right to this.
The assessments usually take place at a centre. You can ask for a home visit instead. You are more likely to get this if you cannot get to the assessment centre because of your health condition.
You can take someone, such as your carer, with you for support at your assessment. They will not be able to answer the questions for you but they will be able to add information to what you say.
The healthcare professional will ask questions about your health and may do a short physical examination. But this should only happen if you have also said on your form that you have a physical condition.
It can help to make a list of points you would like to make before the assessment. You can take this list with you to the assessment.
After your medical assessment, the healthcare professional will review all of the evidence and write a report. They send this to the Social Security Agency (SSA) who will use all of the information to decide if you will get Personal Independence Payment.
- What is PIP?
- What if I claim Disability Living Allowance (DLA)?
- Who can get Personal Independence Payment (PIP)?
- How will I be assessed for Personal Independence Payment (PIP)?
- How do I claim?
- The ‘How your disability affects you’ form?
- Should I get supporting evidence?
- Will I have to go to a face to face medical assessment?
- Can I appeal if I think a decision is wrong?
- Do I need to speak to a welfare advisor?
- What happens if my health changes when I’m getting Personal Independence Payment (PIP)?
- Can someone claim Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for me?
- Information on Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- Next steps