You are currently in the wal section of the site.

No thank you, please close this banner.

Key points of this subject

  1. The local authority has a choice whether or not to charge you for ‘non-residential’ social care services.
  2. Social care charges are different around the country. This section gives an overview of the charging system.
  3. You will get free aftercare services if you are under section 117 of the Mental Health Act 1983.
  4. If you are not happy with the amount your local authority is charging, then you should ask for a review of your circumstances.
  5. Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014 has set out a standard way to charge for care.

Within this subject

  1. Overview
  2. What is social care and will I be charged?
  3. What is a personal budget?
  4. Will I have to pay if Section 117 applies to me?
  5. What if I cannot afford the charges?
  6. Can I complain about the charges?
  7. Direct Payments
  8. Next steps

Is this article helpful to you?

Was this article helpful to you?

Please tell us more

For urgent help, please see Help & contacts