Can I get Council Tax Discounts?
Some carers can get a discount on their Council Tax.
Some carers can get a discount on their Council Tax. A full council tax bill is based on two or more adults living together. Some people are not counted. These include:
- Some carers,
- People in full time education,
- People with a ‘severe mental impairment’.
You will get a reduction of your council tax bill if there are less than two adults in the household. The bill can be reduced by 25%, 50% or 100% depending on who lives in the property.
To check if you can get a reduction of your council tax bill, contact your local authority, or speak to a benefits adviser.
Carers are not counted when the local authority works out your council tax bill. This means you will get a discount if you meet the following criteria:
- You care for someone for at least 35 hours per week,
- You live with the person you care for,
- The person you care for is age 18 years or older, and
- The person you care for is not your spouse or partner.
You only qualify if the person you care for gets one of the following benefits:
- Disability Living Allowance (middle or high rate care),
- Personal Independence Payment (standard or enhanced daily living component),
- Attendance Allowance, or
- Constant Attendance Allowance.
If the person you care for is exempt from council tax you will get a 50% discount. If the person you care for is not exempt from council tax you will get a 25% discount.
Single person’s discount
If you are the only adult who lives in your home, you should get a 25% discount on your council tax bill. This is called the 'single person discount’. You may also get this discount if the other adults who live with you are students or have a ‘severe mental impairment’.
Should I get advice?
The benefits system is complicated. Speak to a benefits adviser if you don’t know which benefits you can get. You may be able to get help with difficult situations such as claims or appeals. This could include advice, information and help with filling in forms or representation.
You can search for local advice services.