You are currently in the scot section of the site.

No thank you, please close this banner.

Key points of this subject

  1. If you need residential care, your local authority may ask you to pay towards the cost, as they have to charge you for residential care services if you can afford to pay.
  2. People receiving care under a Compulsory Treatment Order under the Mental Health (Care and Treatment) (Scotland) Act 2003 or under a Compulsion Order through the Criminal Procedure (Scotland) Act 2003 may be exempt from charges.
  3. If you are not happy about how much the local authority are charging, you can ask for a review or make a complaint.

Within this subject

  1. Overview
  2. What is residential care?
  3. Will I have to pay for residential care?
  4. What is capital and how will the local authority assess this?
  5. What is the most I will have to pay?
  6. What are top-up fees?
  7. What are Deferred Payment Agreements (DPA)?
  8. Free care for people who have a mental illness
  9. Free personal care for people over 65
  10. What if I cannot afford the charges?
  11. How can I deal with problems about charges?
  12. Next steps

Is this article helpful to you?

Was this article helpful to you?

Please tell us more

For urgent help, please see Help & contacts