Key points of this subject
- Research shows half of those in problem debt have a mental health problem.
- One in four people with mental health problems is also in debt.
- People with mental health problems are three times as likely to be in problem debt than those without.
- For those in financial difficulty, it’s easy to become worried and stressed about your finances and start to cut back on essentials like food and heating or social activities.
- Poor mental health can also lead to low motivation or anxiety, and make it difficult to manage spending.